Calming the Chaos of the Disability System – Interview with Spencer Bishins
Do you have a disability and want to know more about how the disability system in the United States works? If so, you’ll want to listen to this interview with Spencer Bishins, who has worked with Social Security Administration (SSA) for more than 10 years.
Spencer has worked at the SSA Appeals Council and has reviewed thousands of disability decisions for compliance with the SSA’s complex rules and procedures. He has also worked at the hearing level where he drafted almost 2,000 decisions for SSA Administrative Law Judges.
Spencer has a Masters Degree from the London School of Economics, and a law degree from Florida State University. He wrote his first book, Social Security Disability Revealed: Why it’s so hard to access benefits and what you can do about it. His wish is to help people demystify the complicated disability system in the United States. Spencer joins Calming the Chaos podcast to share important information with our listeners about himself, accessing SSA disability benefits, and to talk about his book.
• Intro – Tell us about yourself and how you got started doing the work you do
• Let’s talk about the chaos people experience when they are applying for Disability benefits from the SSA
• Talking Points
• How do you know what evidence of disability you need? What do you need to prove?
• How do you find a representative to help you?
• What if your claim can't result in a fee for the representative, will they refuse to take your case?
• Why are so many people denied when they first apply?
• What happens at a hearing? Why are there people talking about you who have never met you? How do they know if you can work?
• If you are denied, how do you appeal?
• Wait a second, if you are approved, can that be taken away even if you never appealed?
• Tour of Spencer’s website
• Spencer’s Book: “Social Security Disability Revealed: Why it’s so hard to access benefits and what you can do about it.”
Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/Social-Security.../dp/B0B5PQ6ZYD
Social Media Links: